punking high school, shoegazing college, breaking beyond

Now then, in about 1993, my last year of university, I started becoming someone who adores songs, no matter the so-called musical genres. Previous to that, though, I was a mostly rock chick, with waves of preference for gothic rock and post punk, Philippine folk, as well as shoegazer.

In 1982, I was in my fifth year of grade school and had my first even favored band. It was Duran Duran. Nonetheless, I wasn’t yet a true music fan by then.

Being a “true music fan” was something that happened to me at the first year of high school. The year was 1984, and I would be a fanatic of The Cure and Joy Division. As well, I would be well into gothic rock, post punk and new wave for the next five years, which included local bands such as Identity Crisis, Ethnic Faces, and Dean’s December.

However, from 1988 to 1989, I likewise got into modern Philippine folk, with bands just like Joey Ayala at ang Bagong Lumad, Buklod, and The Wuds. In 1990, meanwhile, I began savoring My Bloody Valentine followed by Ride, Slowdive, Lush, and shoegazer in general.

By 1992, I was truly fixated on P J Harvey, Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos together with Down Colorful Hill by Red House Painters. It was a sort of shift in the mode of songs I liked and would probably be the last time I called any music “favorite”.

Beyond 1993, in the meantime, among the music I would break for were Yo La Tengo, Mogwai, Blue by Joni Mitchell, Stereolab, Grouper, Moondog, School of Seven Bells, M83, From the Valley to the Stars by El Perro del Mar, Kraftwerk, Low, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Arcade Fire, Air, Wolf Parade…

…And to a lesser extent, The Weakerthans, Rachel’s, Maps, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Drugstore by Drugstore, “Save One for Gießen” by Duraluxe, Local Natives, “Evergreen” by Celebration, “Pachuca Sunrise” (Alias remix) by Minus the Bear, The Field.

Also, some of my guilty pleasure preferences would be Spiritual Machines by Our Lady Peace, “Relative Ways” by …And You Know Us by the Trail of Dead, “A Favor House Atlantic” by Coheed and Cambria, together with “The Flame” by Cheap Trick.

The Groop Played "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" by Stereolab
& Source Tags & Codes by …And You Know Us by the Trail of Dead


I Could Live in Hope by Low & Selenography by Rachel's

No comments:

Post a Comment